2021 Coltman Competition Virtual Showdown
The 2021 Coltman Competition Virtual Showdown will still be competitive for ensembles that are looking to capture prestige and recognition, BUT will also allow for more accessibility for the current COVID-19 environment. All ensembles that submitted an application received written feedback from adjudicators, giving them additional tools for musical development. Thirty-one (11 Junior Division, 10 Senior Division Mixed Instrumental, and 10 Senior Division String & Piano) ensembles were selected and competed in the March 6, 2021 virtual invitational. Preliminary judging was based highly on ensemble playing this year, slightly less on recording quality. Cash prizes were presented and bragging rights were awarded through a People’s Choice Prize within each showdown event by the audience… 1,896 votes were cast!!
Watch the Showdown!
If you missed the competition click below to see all the action you missed:
Senior Division Mixed Instrumental
Senior Division String & Piano
Monday, January 11, 2021: Online submission opens
Monday, February 1, 2021: Submission deadline for all application materials for both Junior and Senior Division at 11:59 PM CST
Week of February 22, 2021: Applicants notified of prescreening audition results
Saturday, March 6, 2021: Virtual Showdowns via Zoom webinar (ALL TIMES CENTRAL)
- 11:00 AM (CST): Junior Division – 11 ensembles competed!
- 2:00 PM (CST): Senior Division Mixed Instrumental – 10 ensembles competed!
- 5:00 PM (CST): Senior Division String & Piano – 10 ensembles competed!
Save the Date: March 26-27, 2022
- 9th Annual Coltman Competition at The University of Texas at Austin Butler School of Music in Austin, Texas
Divisions & Ensemble Prizes
- Ensemble must be an average age of 18 to 30 on 3/6/21
- Ensemble Prizes
- Mixed Instrumental: KMFA Classical 89.5 People’s Choice Prize = $1000 ensemble cash prize
- String & Piano: KMFA Classical 89.5 People’s Choice Prize = $1000 ensemble cash prize
- Ensemble must be an average age of 18 or under on 3/6/21 — However, if any member(s) of the ensemble are in college then the ensemble should submit a Senior Division application
- Blackerby Violin Shop People’s Choice Prize = $500 ensemble cash prize
Eligibility Requirements & Regulations
Junior Division and Senior Division → 2021 Eligibility Requirements and Regulation
Coltman Competition History
Named after Austin Chamber Music Center founder, Felicity Coltman, the Coltman Chamber Music Competition provides performance experience and expert commentary to advanced chamber ensembles along with cash prizes, scholarships and performance opportunities. The competition began locally in 2010, reaching extraordinary middle and high school ensembles from Austin and surrounding areas. After taking a year off to revamp the competition, and dividing the competition into junior and senior divisions, the first annual state-wide competition began in 2014 reaching more talented musicians from around Texas. The second annual competition went nationwide expanding to even more outstanding musicians from all around the country! The sixth annual competition expanded into multiple categories.