Adult Academy: Register now for 2023/2024!
During the fall and spring semesters, avocational musicians (ages 18 & up) are matched into ensembles, typically 3-5 players, according to their level and (ideally) location and assigned a professional musician-coach. Sessions are scheduled weekly by the group at a mutually convenient time and location (in ensemble member homes) for both group members and coach, providing flexibility for the ensemble.
The program is open to upper intermediate to advanced woodwind, brass, string and piano players. If for any reason a musician is not able to be placed in an appropriate ensemble before the semester begins a full refund will be issued.
Pre-formed ensembles are also welcome! Contact Jeni Gossard to get more details on how to register a pre-formed ensemble.
Due to the nature of the program–going into homes for rehearsals–we require all musicians within the program to be fully vaccinated out of the safety for the musicians enrolled and their families. All musicians interested in registering should consider their comfortability with rehearsing in others homes and venues before enrolling.
As part of the program, musicians will receive
- Four 90-minute coaching sessions throughout the semester by local professional musicians
- A masterclass towards the latter half of the semester
- A semester-end performance
- FREE tickets (general seating) to the Saturday Synchronism Concerts during the semester enrolled
Benefits of chamber music as an adult amateur musician
- Meet and play with other musicians that have a similar passion for music
- Be a soloist within a small, intimate ensemble
- Challenge your playing and appreciate new music
- Continue building a superior working memory
- Further develop skills such as creativity, teamwork, communication, and critical thinking
- Activate three different centers of the brain at the same time: language, hearing, and rhythmic motor control
- Think differently and process different points of view… and most important, take pleasure in listening
Fall 2023 Semester Dates
|Registration Deadline||August 22|
|Semester Dates||September 11 to December 9|
|Masterclass||Sunday, November 5|
|Semester End Concert||Saturday, December 9 @ 2:00 PM|
Spring 2024 Semester Dates
|Registration Deadline||January 9|
|Semester Dates||January 29 to May 11|
|Masterclass||Sunday, April 7|
|Semester End Concert||Saturday, May 11 @ 2:00 PM|
2023/2024 Semester Fees
|Fall Semester (1 chamber ensemble) = $225|
|Spring Semester (1 chamber ensemble) = $225|
Fee is non-refundable for the fall semester after August 22 and for the spring semester after January 9.
Placement auditions aid faculty in putting together ensembles and are an opportunity for us to meet and hear all participants in the program. No pressure!! Once the online registration and fee are completed your place is secured within the Academy. Auditions are required to gather everyone’s most accurate playing level for ensemble pairing and music selecting.
Fall Auditions: All musicians that did not participate in the 2023 Workshop will be asked to do a placement audition.
Spring Auditions: All musicians that did not participate in the Fall 2023 Academy will be asked to do a placement audition.
The exception: If you have a pre-formed ensemble and want to pick your music then a placement audition is not required.
There are TWO ways to complete your placement audition:
Option 1: Pre-Record a Video Audition
- Video audition material: One movement of a solo OR one etude, of your choice, that showcases your current playing level musically and technically
- Please be sure you are facing the camera, your background is well lit, and that we can see your full instrument and both hands
- Email your video to Jeni at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Video delivery formats: Google Drive or Dropbox
- YouTube videos will not be accepted
- Provide the following in your email:
- Solo title, movement, and composer OR etude book title and/or number, and composer
- Video submission deadlines
- Fall Semester: Monday, August 28
- Spring Semester: Monday, January 15
Option 2: Schedule an In-Person Audition
- In-person auditions will be scheduled individually with Jeni Gossard at the ACMC office: 7600 Burnet Road
- Audition material: One movement of a solo OR one etude, of your choice, that showcases your current playing level musically and technically
- All in-person auditions will be video taped
- To schedule an audition day/time contact Jeni at email@example.com
- Audition Dates
- Fall Semester: Saturday, August 26
- Spring Semester: Saturday, January 13
Ready to Register?
Click a button below to complete your registration and payment.
Have questions or want to be informed of upcoming plans?
Contact Jeni Gossard, Director of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org, or click below to fill out a contact form, to inquire about how to get involved with the Adult Academy and/or to get updates on upcoming adult programs!