“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”- Aldous Huxley
Register now for Fall 2021!
The Adult Academy is back up and running! During the fall and spring, avocational musicians (ages 18 & up) are matched into ensembles according to their level and location and assigned a professional musician-coach. Sessions are scheduled weekly by the group at a mutually convenient time and location (typically in ensemble member homes) for both group members and coach, providing flexibility for the ensemble.
The program is open to string, woodwind, brass, and piano players of all playing levels. If for any reason a musician is not able to be placed in an appropriate ensemble before the semester begins a full refund will be issued.
All musicians interested in registering should consider their comfortability with rehearsing in others homes and venues before enrolling. If CDC/City guidelines change the Academy will adjust accordingly.
As part of the program, musicians will receive
- Four 90-minute coaching sessions throughout the semester by local professional musicians
- A masterclass towards the later half of the semester
- A semester-end performance
- FREE tickets (general seating) to the Saturday Synchronism Concerts during the semester enrolled
Benefits of chamber music as an adult amateur musician
- Meet and play with other musicians that have a similar passion for music
- Be a soloist within a small, intimate, ensemble
- Challenge your playing and appreciate new music
- Continue building a superior working memory
- Further develop skills such as creativity, teamwork, communication, and critical thinking
- Activate three different centers of the brain at the same time: language, hearing, and rhythmic motor control
- Think differently and process different points of view… and most important, take pleasure in listening
2021 Fall Semester Dates
|Registration Deadline||Wednesday, August 18|
|Semester Dates||September 11 to December 4|
|Masterclass||Sunday, November 7|
|Semester End Concert at First Unitarian Universalist Church of Austin, 4700 Grover Ave||Saturday, December 4 @ 6:00 PM|
Spring 2022 semester information will be announced in October. Please check back!
2021 Fall Semester Fee
|One chamber ensemble = $175|
Fee is non-refundable for the fall semester after August 18.
Placement auditions aid faculty in putting together ensembles and are an opportunity for us to meet and hear all participants in the program. No pressure!! Once the online registration and fee is completed your place is secured within the Academy. Since the Adult Academy has been suspended for a year due to COVID, all new AND returning musicians will be asked to do a placement audition. Auditions are required to gather everyone’s most accurate playing level for ensemble pairing and music selecting!
The exception: If you have a pre-formed ensemble and want to pick your music then a placement audition is not required.
There are TWO ways to complete your placement audition:
Option 1: Pre-Record a Video Audition
- Instead of an in-person audition, submit a video of your playing
- Video audition material: One movement of a solo OR one etude, of your choice, that showcases your current playing level musically and technically
- Email your video to Jeni at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Video delivery formats: Google Drive or Dropbox
- Provide the following in your email:
- Solo title, movement, and composer OR etude book title and/or number, and composer
- List any other solo pieces you’re working on or recently completed
- List any chamber music pieces that you have played or would like to play (no promises but nice to know!)
- Previously recorded videos taken AFTER April 2021 will be accepted IF they meet the above audition material requirements
- Video submission deadline: Tuesday, August 24
Option 2: Schedule an In-Person Audition
- In-person auditions will be scheduled individually with Jeni Gossard at the ACMC office: 7600 Burnet Road
- Audition material: One movement of a solo OR one etude, of your choice, that showcases your current playing level musically and technically
- All in-person auditions will be video taped
- To schedule an audition day/time contact Jeni at email@example.com
- Auditions will be scheduled between August 16 and August 24 (no auditions will be scheduled on Sunday, August 22)
- All auditions must be completed by Tuesday, August 24
Ready to register?
The form will be sent directly to ACMC’s Director of Education.
Have questions or want to be informed of upcoming plans?
Contact Jeni Gossard, Director of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org, or click below to fill out a contact form, to inquire about how to get involved with the Adult Academy and/or to get updates on upcoming adult programs!