2015 Workshop Dates Announced!
For musicians ages 11-18 with intermediate to advanced proficiency. Students will work with amazing faculty who will instill musicianship, listening skills, leadership and confidence. The Young Artists will also receive masterclasses, coaching sessions and noonday presentations from guest Festival Artists from around the world. All instrumentalists are encouraged and welcome to enroll (strings, woodwinds, brass, guitar, pianists); however, we do ask that students have at least a year of private instruction before enrolling.
NOTE TO PARENTS & STUDENTS:
ALL Young Artists Division students are REQUIRED to attend ALL days of the Workshop to participate, including the final concerts on Saturday, July 18th.
2015 Dates & Times
Young Artists Division runs from JULY 2 – 18, 2015
- Monday – Friday from 8:45am – 5:00pm
Orientation meeting for parents & students
- Wednesday, July 1 from 12:00-1:00pm
- Brentwood Christian School, 11908 N. Lamar, Austin, TX
- Chamber music coaching (all students will be placed in 2 different chamber ensembles)
- Music Appreciation and composition classes
- Classical & Jazz Improvisation classes
- Percussion ensembles
- Outreach & formal performance opportunities
- Masterclasses & daily noonday presentations by artists-in-residence and workshop faculty
- FREE admission to select Festival Concerts
- Retirement Home Concert – Thursday, July 16 (during Workshop hours)
- Final Concerts – Saturday, July 18 at 1:00 pm & 3:30 pm (ALL students will perform on both concerts!)
Placement Audition Dates:
- Saturday, May 16, 2015
- Saturday, May 23, 2015
- Armstrong Community Music School, 404 Camp Craft Rd.
Placement auditions are for chamber ensemble placements only. Once you register you have secured your place in the Workshop. If you have any questions about whether your child is ready for chamber music contact the Director of Education before you register.
Students may audition on 2 instruments (they are placed in 2 chamber ensembles during the Workshop) as long as they have been playing for at least one year on both instruments. Students will be required to prepare the audition material on both instruments. When registering just put down both instruments and other information required on the registration form.
Students will be asked to prepare 2 contrasting solos/etudes of their choice (1 slow and musical / 1 faster and technical). Portions of piece or movements are fine. Both selections should be approximately 1 minute in length. Students will also be asked to do some sight-reading.
Set up an Audition:
Contact Jeni Gossard, Director of Education, at (512) 454-7562 to schedule an audition time.