Summer 2016 Summer Registration Now CLOSED!
About the Young Artists Division
For musicians ages 11-18 with intermediate to advanced proficiency. Students will work with amazing faculty who will instill musicianship, listening skills, leadership and confidence. Young Artists will also receive masterclasses, coaching sessions, performance opportunities, and presentations from guest artists from around the world.
All instrumentalists are encouraged and welcome to enroll (strings, woodwinds, brass, guitar, pianists).
Note to parents before enrolling:
ALL Young Artists Division students are REQUIRED to attend ALL days of the Workshop to participate, including the final concerts on Saturday, July 23rd. No exceptions.
Students should have at least a year of private instruction and the ability to read music before enrolling.
2016 Dates & Times
Young Artists Division runs from JULY 7 – 23, 2016
- Monday – Friday from 8:30am – 5:00pm
Packet & t-shirt pick-up for students: Wednesday, July 6 (more details sent after enrolled)
Registration Deadline: May 18, 2016
University of Texas at Austin
Sarah & Ernest Butler School of Music
2406 Robert Dedman Drive
Austin, TX 78712
- Chamber music coaching (all students will be placed in 2 different chamber ensembles)
- Music Appreciation and composition classes
- Classical & Jazz Improvisation classes
- Percussion ensembles
- Outreach & formal performance opportunities
- Masterclasses & daily noonday presentations by artists-in-residence and workshop faculty
- FREE admission to select Festival Concerts
- Retirement Home Concert – Thursday, July 21 (during Workshop hours)
- Final Concerts – Saturday, July 23 at 1:00 pm & 3:30 pm (ALL students will perform on both concerts!)
- Saturday, May 21, 2016
- Saturday, May 28, 2016
- Armstrong Community Music School, 404 Camp Craft Rd.
Placement auditions are for chamber ensemble placements only. Once you register you have secured your place in the Workshop. If you have any questions about whether your child is ready for chamber music contact the Director of Education before you register.
Students may audition on 2 instruments (they are placed in 2 chamber ensembles during the Workshop) as long as they have been playing for at least one year on both instruments. Students will be required to prepare the audition material on both instruments. When registering just put down both instruments and other information required on the registration form.
Students will be asked to prepare 2 contrasting solos/etudes of their choice (1 slow and musical / 1 faster and technical). Portions of a piece, movements, or etudes are fine. Both selections should be approximately 1 minute in length. Students will also be asked to do some sight-reading.
Set up an Audition:
Contact Jeni Gossard, Director of Education, at (512) 454-7562 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an audition time.
Financial aid is available to those in need. ACMC’s goal is to offer all students the opportunity to participate in the workshop regardless of financial background.
- Contact Jeni Gossard to request an application at (512) 454-7562
- Deadline to apply: May 18, 2016
- No applications will be accepted after May 18
Young Artists Division Fees
|Full tuition (8:30am-5:00pm)||$900|
|Non-refundable deposit (tuition balance will be due June 20)||$350|
Please note that you should either pay the deposit OR full tuition…NOT both when registering! Your workshop tuition balance will be due June 20, 2016.
No tuition refunds will be given after June 20, 2016 – deposits are non-refundable. Any partial refund requests will be subject to a $20 fee.
|Daily Lunch (12 days) provided by Sweetish Hill Bakery||$120|
|Private Lessons (TWO lesson limit per student enrolled)||$40 per 40 minute lesson|
Sweetish Hill Bakery uses fresh local ingredients and has been providing Workshop lunches for several years. Each day they will prepare a main dish, 2 sides and a dessert. If your child has special food needs that are not on the list below you should go ahead and plan to send them to the Workshop with a pre-packed meal that does not require heating.
- Sweetish Hill will provide daily lunches that can accommodate the following needs: Vegan, Vegetarian, Allergies: gluten, nuts, dairy
Lessons will be given during Workshop hours by faculty members and scheduled closer to the start of the Workshop. A more detailed list of faculty will be given at a later date.